What is a NVQ?
The NVQ is a work based qualification which recognises the skills and knowledge a person needs to do a job. The learner needs to demonstrate and prove their competency in their chosen role or career path. Learners need to demonstrate that they have the suitable skills, knowledge and understanding to carry out the tasks associated with their job role
What are the benefits of undertaking an NVQ?
For the learner:
- A flexible route to becoming qualified in the workplace
- A practical demonstration of the individuals skills, knowledge and understanding
- Certification to demonstrate you have met a national standard for an occupational role
- Improved employability and transferability
- Access to recognised qualification for employees with no other formal education
- An effective way of developing staff to a nationally recognised standard which results in improved efficiency
- Proof of the learner’s capability to do their job as it is based on what they can do rather than what they know
- On the job training and evidence gathering, therefore less down time from the employee
- Demonstrates a commitment to quality both internally and externally to customers
- Ensures employees are up to date with industry standards and best practice
How are NVQs assessed?
NVQ’s are competency based and the learner produces evidence of what they do in their work situation which becomes the basis of a portfolio that is assessed against the relevant occupational standard. The learners must demonstrate that their skills are current and prove their competency over a period of time.
You cannot fail an NVQ. You are either classed as competent, or not yet competent; which means you would need to provide additional or further evidence over a period of time.
- Personal Statements
- Witness Statements
- Case Studies
- Work Books
- Professional Discussions
- Work Products
How are NVQs delivered?
The NVQ qualifications are all delivered on a one to one basis. Delivery occurs on site at a learner’s place of work where they will meet with their assessor on a monthly basis.